Thursday, May 12, 2011

Love Means Never Having to Say You're Sorry

"The Red Line is experiencing delays due to a disabled train at Alewife." Or Park Street. Or wherever.

We've all heard those words announced over the MBTA loudspeaker from time to time (okay, well, we've all strained our ears to decipher the words through the static). But, aside from the inconvenience of being late or having to find alternate transportation, have we stopped to consider what that really means?

Yes, it means the train is not moving. But the train isn't sitting in the tunnel by itself; there are people on that train, by gum! What does it mean to them...the passengers and crew...stuck...sometimes for hours...without food or water...or bathroom facilities...like tonight...like me?

Tonight I was on the infamous disabled train. Only three short months into my Red Line career, and I end up with a whopper of a delay. Left the office at 6; got home at 9:30. During the span of time in between, there were many, many "I'm sorry's" from the T personnel. And, truthfully, none of us passengers blamed the T staff, who were about as distressed as we were and were doing their best to get the bloody thing in gear. Still, they have clearly been drilled on the importance of apology, and I couldn't help wonder if they spent less time saying I'm sorry maybe they could spend more time trying to get the train moving.

Were we told "there is a problem with the train," and that it would be "moving into Davis momentarily." Ah, to be so close to my destination and yet so far away. After the first hour (and five or six apologies and "momentarily" comments) people who had been sitting offered seats to those who had been standing. The temperature rose, and we wriggled out of spring coats.

No phone service, but anyone who was getting the T alerts would know about the delay. Or would they? When I got home I had just one T alert about the Red Line running slow (at 6:07 pm) due to a signal problem at JFK/UMASS, nowhere near Davis.

I was pretty calm--what can you do? I thought of everyone behind us. No one was getting into Davis with us sitting in the way. I was slightly worried that someone might freak out. Or that someone had the measles. But I didn't feel in danger (until the nice T lady announced that we were not in any danger; I mean, if they have to say it, there must be something dangerous.)

I also made a mental note to always be prepared for this in future:
  • Have plenty of reading material.
  • Have a fully charged iPod touch (to play Angry Birds when people are talking too much for me to read).
  • Use the restroom before leaving home or work.
Because you never really know when something like this is going to happen. (Although, 9 times out of 10,  I believe it happens when you are headed home, not when you are headed to work. Sorry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment