Saturday, February 12, 2011

I'll Get to Read on the Train

After eleven years working at a job seven miles from my home, I recently began a new position located in downtown Boston. I knew the new commute would be worse than my old commute, but I actually welcomed the time I'd be spending on the bus or train. I was reclaiming my "reading time," I told myself and anyone else who would listen.

Now, with one week's experience as my guide, I embark on this blog to share my angst about using the MBTA's Red Line. I don't intend this as criticism of the fine people who work at the T. They work hard and do their jobs well. Still, the frustration of the past week's travel requires an outlet, and this is it.

A lot of the frustration has nothing to do with the MBTA but rather with the difficulty of getting to the train. I live in Arlington, Mass., which has been described as "close to everything, convenient to nothing."
Friday, February 11, took the prize. I actually got to Davis Square early, just before 8, feeling like I had all the time in the world. No sooner did I enter the station than the dreaded announcement came: 
Attention passengers, we are experiencing significant delays due to a disabled car on the northbound side at Harvard. Expect twenty to twenty-five minute delays.
I was traveling south (or "inbound"), so I thought it shouldn't be so bad. But, of course, if the trains cannot go north (or "outbound"), then they cannot make it to the end of the line where they turn around a go south. As I descended the stairs to the platform, the reality became clear: A sea of humanity was waiting on the inbound side. Not only would I not be getting a seat, I'd be lucky to get on a train.

As is usually the case in these circumstances, the first three trains to arrive were on the northbound (read, troubled) side. I seriously considered going north to Alewife and then just sitting on the train until it came south. Next time, I might.

No comments:

Post a Comment