Monday, February 14, 2011

Why Can't Every Day Be Like Today?

I knew the minute my car hit the road that today was different. I'm not sure if it was because it was Valentine's Day, and maybe people took the day off to spend a romantic weekend with their respective honeys. But there were, simply, way fewer cars on the road--and people on the Red Line--than any day last week, by far.

Luck was with me from the start, when I made three green lights in a row. I had brought the GPS with me, because I was considering trying a new route. In the end, I faced a fairly tolerable backup on Mass Ave just before it crosses Route 16.

I even got a seat on the train! And not a cramped seat jammed between two large people in overstuffed coats, but a nice end seat, with room for my bag next to me. I sat and read the paper in peace.

Tonight I worked rather late, but for the first time, the first train into South Station was going my way. Again, a seat was to be had.

Today will be a tough day to beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment